// you’re reading...

Asides

Fda approval!

It appears that GreenCig has become the first electronic cigarette to obtain certification from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration.

Its cigarette is officially a "nasal inhaler" by FDA definitions. To be one, the device must deliver a drug through nose, mouth or throat. Certainly an e-cigarette takes that route to deliver its nicotine.

GreenCig makes disposable and non-disposable cigarettes and is readying a disposable cigar for sale in the U.S. The company, GreenWorld, is American invested but manufactures in China.

This certification is astounding news and means that, unless the e-cigarette is challenged by a Congressman, it likely will be legal to sell these devices in this country without hearings, demands for clinical trials and proof of efficacy.

You can read the brief certification statement and follow links to definitions at FDA > CDRH > Registration & Listing Database Search

via: E-Cigarette Forum

Discussion

17 comments for “Fda approval!”

1. I hate to break it to you but GreenCig does not have FDA approval but not for an e-cigarette device. If you take a look at this post on the e-cigarette forum you will see what Im talking about.

It looks like they are trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes… I was suckered in by the same claims and was discussing doing business with these guys but after a bit more investigation I have decided that I dont want to do business with someone who makes claims of this nature that are not true. I even went so far as to defend them at one point. I have learned my lesson.

Phil

Posted by Phil | September 22, 2008, 8:32 pm
  2. Damn it! :) I got all excited when I read the “fda approval” headline. Something like this would be a huge step forward for the E Cigarette industry but as it stands I’m beginning to think E Cigs will never live up to their early promise. We really need some sort of official approval if the E Cigarette is to gain the general public’s acceptance.

Posted by E Cig Smoker | October 4, 2008, 3:27 am
  3. I would like to know how to buy an e cigarette.

Posted by Gloria Allen | November 13, 2008, 12:57 pm
  4. Gloria, if you would like to buy an eCig, you can start here:

Make sure to do your research, a good starting point for that would be here:

Posted by ESM Editor | November 13, 2008, 1:01 pm
  5. The bill specifically states that the F.D.A.’s new powers would stop short of the ability to order the elimination of nicotine from tobacco products or place an outright ban on all tobacco products.

But the agency could reduce nicotine to non addictive levels if it determined that doing so would benefit public health. The F.D.A. could also require changes in tobacco products, like the reduction or elimination of other harmful ingredients.

I agree that it looks like the E. Cigs are not FDA approved. Getting the FDA approval for the E. Cig as an inhaler medical device; is an interesting angle. When it comes to delivering various strengths of nicotine; this is where the problem is for approval. This said, the E. Cig is not a tobacco product. If you read the quote above; where would products like the nicotine patch or nicotine gum fall with this law?

Posted by E. Rozier | February 25, 2009, 6:59 pm
  6. Look, there’s no doubt whatsoever the FDA is going to ban Personal Vaporizers & e-cigs, it’s just a matter of time before it happens all over the country. E-cigs have been banned in Oregon, and it’s been said that other states will follow. I’m so tired of the whole debate that I’m seriously thinking about getting back into Hookah smoking as it appears obvious the FDA is not going to ban tobacco products. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but I’m completely convinced that the BIG tobacco companies are secretly paying BIG bucks to BIG politicians to put pressure on the FDA to ban e-cigs which already has gotten hundreds if not thousands of people worldwide off cigarettes. They’re just trying to eliminate the competition, and guess what, they’re succeeding. I am NOT going to invest anymore money into e-cigs because I know that in a very short period of time it will be virtually impossible to acquire replacement parts & e-liquids in the USA. Ahhh well, that’s the way things work in America, what can ya do? They won, and we lost. Now I’m going to go back to smoking cartons of Camels each week, perhaps buy a cigar or two, and purchase a new Hookah as soon as possible, and I’m going to get e-cigs out of my mind because the whole controversy with the FDA has been driving me NUTS wondering if my $150 purchase I made recently on an e-cig starter kit was just a complete waste of money, as I very soon will no longer be able to continue the hobby. :(

Posted by Mathazar | August 11, 2009, 8:26 am
  7. I live in oregon and just learned of e cigs when oregon banned them as over the counter sales. does that mean it is illegal for me to order them over the internet?

Posted by funballad | August 22, 2009, 3:05 pm
  8. They won’t disappear, just get regulated, taxed, and give approval to certain manufacturers, like hmmmmm….. r j reynolds, winston, etc…. you see it really is all about money… big money!!!

Posted by D James | August 25, 2009, 6:26 pm
  9. I still think that regular cigarettes can do you more harm than these electric cigarettes. Take into consideration the nicotine content of the regular cigar. With each puff, you inhale and exhale bad smoke.

Posted by powerpuff | September 17, 2009, 7:03 am
  10. Mathazar- Hold steady, it ain’t over till it’s over. You’re right about one thing though, that the FDA works for big biz, and not for the public.
    But it’s always been this way, it’s how the world works. Big Govt & Big Business are a team that protect the aims and wealth of business/wealth/power. That’s just how it is.

Who is funding the phony astroturf roots hysterics against ecigs but big pharma. They see ecigs as a major threat to their monopolized market for products that don’t do much to help people stop smoking.
    They have major power and influence but the FDA’s role is only to ensure that a product does what it says it will. The FDA does no product testing and never has. Any health claims against ecigs are so ludicrous on their face that FDA will not be able to force ecigs off the market so easily. There is no evidence whatsoever that ecigs are harmful, certainly not anywhere near as harmful as tobacco cigarettes.

So don’t give up just yet. This story may take a while to unfold. I prefer to expect a better outcome, especially knowing how many people out there support the ecig and know very well it’s benefits. There’s just no reasonable excuse FDA can use to force this market to shut down. It won’t stop them from trying to use unreasonable excuses though. The show will go on. If it’s not shut down already realize that means they have nothing to use as a hammer. It’s not all bleak. Stay off cancer sticks, they’re taking your money to rob you of your health. That kind of sucks worse don’t you think?

Posted by Ang | September 17, 2009, 2:13 pm
  11. To Gloria:
    I ordered an e-cigarette from the internet. It’s called Vapor Pro and works well. Google the name if you want one. Of course, like anything else, it only works if I want it to! I have cut my smoking in half and the expense of buying real cigarettes. This was my only motive for getting the e-cigarette. I really didn’t want to quit, just cut done, and it is serving this purpose well.

Posted by bea | November 23, 2009, 5:39 pm
  12. Oregon did NOT ban e-cigs. They forbid two stores to sell them and only two of the e-cigs available.. Njoy and Smokers.

The reason for this was MISREPRESENTATION! Not the e-cigs themselves.

I just read articles on this and the phone conversations
    about this very same thing.

I swear people see a ban by a state regarding e-cigs and don’t bother to read the whole story – just grab the headline and run! I am really pointing a strong finger at the newspapers and sensationalists about that. They see a grabber headline and ASSUME all the rest without reading what was actually banned and WHY!

Posted by Mother Nature | December 24, 2009, 11:59 pm
  13. I started using envy one week ago and have not desired a cigarette since. I have had some problems with batteries not holding up very well but it has not made me go back to regular smokes

Posted by ghardy | January 10, 2010, 12:46 am
  14. I appologize for the last post. It does not really belong here. My bad

Posted by ghardy | January 10, 2010, 12:47 am
  15. The worst thing about the FDA in US and DT in UK is that they want to impose tariff on the essentially healthier way of smoking. When you pay $5 for a pack of tobacco cigarettes, you are actually paying $3.5 or even more towards the tobacco tax.

Now just think how many tobacco cigarettes one single electronic cigarette replaces. If we say that one electronic cigarette cartridge replaces one pack of tobacco cigarettes and that one atomizer will last you 3 months, e-cig is throwing out of the market 3 x 30 x 20 = 1,800 tobacco cigarettes.

Just think how much lost revenue is that for a taxman.

If you want to have a look, good e-cigs are and a new kid on the block

Posted by Godzillatron | March 8, 2010, 12:36 am
  16. [...] Golden Dragon Group Ltd. the electronic cigarette is was approved by the FDA for sale in the US in 2008. These battery powered devices, which can look like cigarettes, cigars, or even pens, provide a [...]

Posted by Human Achievement of the Day: e-Cigarettes | OpenMarket.org | March 19, 2010, 12:45 pm
  17. FDA was shot down on approval to stop shipments on Jan 15, 2010 which they appealed. This claim is definitely false.

Brandon