// you’re reading...

The Law

In California a bill which originally sought to “prohibit the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors” has morphed into a complete ban on the sale of Electronic Cigarettes. The bill (SB400) has passed in the senate and is on its way to be signed by Governor Schwarzenegger. Your right to vape is at risk…arnold-schwarzenegger

UPDATE OCT. 13th 2009: The bill has been struck down! Good work everyone! Thank you Schwarzenegger!

We here at ESM obviously have a vested interested in seeing this bill struck down. We are based in California and we live and vape in California. It is our home state. Further, a lot of our readers are also very passionate about this issues as we have been receiving a ton of mail over it. So we as ESM and we as residents of California ask that all of our California readers take action against this obvious injustice.

Anyone that may not live in California, if this bill is signed it will probably only be a matter of time before your state signs a similar bill. California seems to be a beacon for other states on these matters, indeed California was one of the first to pass anti-smoking laws. So even if you do not live in the state, perhaps you have friends or family that do. We ask you, to ask them join us in this fight.

Call, mail, fax or tweet and ask that Governor Schwarzenegger veto this bill immediately.

Governor Schwarzenegger’s Contact Information:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814

Email http://gov.ca.gov/interact#email

Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-558-3160

Twitter http://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger @Schwarzenegger

What to Say:

Firstly we want the governor to veto the bill, so say that and anything else you feel necessary. If you are new to this type of action, Kamanjah has spent the time to write a great form letter for everyone.

This is important folks, lets all do our part and stop this bill dead in its tracks!

Discussion

9 comments for “California to Ban Electronic Cigarettes? Bill Has Already Passed. Take Action Now!”

1. I sent the following via email…
    Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger,
    Re: Bill SB400
    I want you to know that this bill will turn many people back to smoking cigarettes.
    The electronic cigarette is the only thing I have tried that got me to quit smoking!
    This is a MIRACLE for smokers and should be regulated and used to replace cigarettes entirely! I have smoked for 23 years, I am 43, and this has gotten me so excited because I have tried nearly every other cessation product on the market. I had finally given up trying to quit and have been driving 110 miles one way to buy Native cigarettes (100% additive free & NO FSC Either!!), on a Native American reservation, because I wanted to smoke as healthy as possible, and they only cost $18.50 per carton, thus avoiding all the taxes. This is what my best friend and I were doing until we discovered E-cigarettes! This product is my personal savior! Not to mention it is a new small business opportunity that could help California through tax revenue.
    I felt I needed to share my feelings about this new amazing product. I have nothing to gain by taking the time to send this. I am a Nebraskan, born and raised. I work for state government here and this new alternative to tobacco cigarettes is a GOOD thing, and the only thing I know of that has the potential to end traditional tobacco smoking forever. Let’s face it, people will always smoke in our lifetime and for many lifetimes to come. Let’s move into the future of smoking and make it healthier than it’s ever been before! Let’s regulate it and allow citizens to continue doing what they love, but show them a healthier way to do it! There is also the potential to cut back and quit using E-cigs because they sell different strengths of nicotine, including “0″ nicotine!
    Please do the research on all sides before you sign something into law that really won’t help ANYONE! Thank you sir.
    Sincerely, Steve, Lincoln, Nebraska

Posted by Steve in Nebraska | October 1, 2009, 2:39 pm
  2. Great stuff Steve! Thanks for showing support from Nebraska ;)

To our CA readers: there are quite a bit of you (as per our stats), so please get the word out, post what you said or sent here. We really need to present a united front on this one.

Keep spreading the word.

Posted by ESM Editor | October 1, 2009, 3:00 pm
  3. I have to agree. The only thing that has ever helped me stop smoking is the smokeless delite e-cigarette. I dont know why they would ever ban it. I have been smoking for over 30 years, and this is the only way i could stop!

Posted by Jon R. | October 7, 2009, 2:32 pm
  4. I have been smoking for 22 years as well. The second day using my electronic cigarette I stopped smoking tobacco. Now why in the world would anyone want this bill? These arguments that e-cigs should be available via prescription is non-sense too. My mommy doesn’t tell me what to do so why should the government? This whole system is a sham when politicians, WHO WE ELECT, do not listen to the public but instead push agendas of special interest groups.

Banning something doesn’t stop people from using it. After being a slave to tobacco for 22 years I’m glad to have this as an alternative … I can breath normal now, my clothes, car and house no longer smell and on and on.

Now why would they want to ban e-cigs or regulate them? TAXES.

Why are there taxes on cigarettes? To pay for soaring health costs. Electronic cigarettes do not contain 4000 chemicals and addatives. They do not contain 69 carcinogens. There is no need for FSC additive becuase there is no flame. There is also no tar. A five year old could figure out ecigs are a healthy alternative to smoking. There is a hospital in Little Rock Arkansas that the Doctor bought all his patients ecigs … BECAUSE THEY ARE A SAFE ALTERNATIVE TO TOBACCO.

So with what I’ve presented isn’t reason enough to stop the nightmare of tobacco plaguing 47 millions of americans, what will it take for these beaucrats to back off? HMM?

Here is a suggestion for all those thinking of imposing a ban …. BAN TOBACCO MADE WITH ADDITIVES.
    How’s that for a concept?

But sad to say you won’t because its all about revenue.

Posted by Mike | October 7, 2009, 3:39 pm
  5. Oh yes, I am an ecig dealer.

Not only am I a dealer, but after 22 years I am now tobacco free.

Posted by Mike | October 7, 2009, 3:41 pm
  6. This is how a make money and SUPPORT MY FAMILY. BY selling this product at 3 local store in Burbank/Glendale. I pay taxes, and my customers thank me everyday. YET the California Legislature wants me out of business… For selling life saving electric cigarettes haha… what a great IDEA…. don’t do something like this in this bad economy your morons.

Posted by Mike - e cigarette | October 7, 2009, 3:58 pm
  7. Gov. S. protects Californian vapors and vetos the SB400. See below and on the ECA website.

ECA

Posted by Envy Electronic Cigarettes | October 13, 2009, 10:27 am
  8. Finally the Government has done THE RIGHT THING ! ! ! It took “The Governator” to do it ! If we could only get those “IDIOTS” in the FDA to see the TRUTH !

Posted by Donnie | November 1, 2009, 1:31 pm
  9. I have been smoking the electronic cigarette for 2 months now. I love it and feel much more alert in the morning, and am breathing probably 20% better. I wish the hypocrites would be thankful that this will reduce healthcare cost and prevent 25% of forest fires from cigarettes. Forest fires cost hundreds of millions to extinguise. It would also prevent unnecessary deaths of fire fighters. But no! Were stepping on the tobacco industry and the pharmaceutical companys toes. they don’t sell nicorette or any other stop smoking crap for our health. We all know the truth how the government works, and that is to suck every dime out of us. they know that taxes on cigarettes wont stop people from smoking and they know it will probably kill you around retirement age saving them more money on retirement benefits. They need to be cleaned up, especially the FDA. Im going to go vape now while I still can.

Posted by Doran | March 21, 2010, 9:21 am